Tuesday, March 30, 2004
delivered on Saturday, July 26, 2003. how quickly i forget the things i say. or maybe it's just that i feel like i'm not living up to it. whatever the case, i need time for reflection. time i don't have. more and more... i'm turning in jessie spano (minus the OTC addiction) jk... sigh.

Good Evening. My name is Rita Jo Rose Cruz Encarnacion, and I am truly honored to accept this title as Miss Hawaii-Pittsburg 2003 for the Filipino Catholic Society of Pittsburg.


Back in January when I was approached by the president, Josefina Galang aka Lola Pinay, and Mrs. Vennie Alvear and Mrs. Nora Gavino, tonight’s event coordinators, I decided to put my bid into the candidacy, not for the title, or the crown, or the party, but for the mission, for the goodwill, and for the service that are essentially rooted in this fundraiser.Sure, the glamorous idea of being a “Queen” definitely sparked my youthful confidence and go-to nature, but the central belief that I would be able to help this organization with its efforts towards education is what really drew me in. It was a calling from my Lord to be a steward for God for our community.


I am proud to represent a group whose mission is to continue to serve and fund projects that grant scholarships to deserving students from parochial schools in the area, that serve free dinners to the elderly, that adopt children for the catechism, and more. Giving back to the community is something innately ingrained in me. It’s something I was taught at a young age. It’s something that has been continually nurtured in me. And while I, myself, really don’t have much of an income of my own to give, I saw solicitation as the next possible step. There is nothing to be ashamed of when asking in the name of the Lord, when it goes to our needy brothers and sisters. It is really the least we can do, no matter how young or old we may be.You don’t lose anything through asking; you can only gain. The key is to get involved—regardless of how important it may seem or how great it might look in the scheme of things—and to stay involved.


And so tonight, I ask you. Better yet, I thank you. By coming tonight, you have already done your part. You have already given your support, but there is still so much more in this world that we can do—that we can set right if we keep Christ’s love in our hearts. While it’s best to take things one at a time, we must always remember that we have a constant responsibility to each other and to ourselves.We owe it to each other to look out for one another’s best interests, for one another’s wellbeing, and for one another’s happiness. So tonight, let us take great happiness in this occasion, beautifully decorated and wonderfully prepared. Thank you for coming and supporting the society, princesses Jona and Erika, and myself. Aloha!

posted by Rita at 11:15 AM -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me

Name: Rita Jo Rose Cruz Encarnacion

Home: Concord, CA

See my profile...


Previous Post
Archives
Gimme More
Links
Credits


Brushes by Gvalkyrie